Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Paying Tribute to a Great Thinker


    This blog has primarily served the purpose of allowing me the opportunity to release my art on a wide scale. I appreciate being able to make my art available to all of you who are reading this now. It's not my intention to hit you over the head with ideas and beliefs, but I do want you to think critically (what else is art for?), which brings me to this portrait of Alexis de Tocqueville that you see below. I won't get into great detail of who he is, but I do want to encourage you to read about him on wikipedia, if you aren't already familiar with him. 


Briefly:
As a French thinker/ political mind, he was greatly impacted by the United States, and is a major figure on the topics of government & liberty. As a classical liberal (Conservative) he thought that the best government was a small one. He believed that a moral society could govern itself with little to no government intervention. Some might call him a Libertarian by today's standards, but regardless, he was in favor of maintaining a moral standard, that would later impact the fiscal society. I don't believe that he would be in favor of entitlement spending, abortion or legalization of marijuana, for example. 

  My politics have experienced a Great Awakening because of men like Alexis, who strongly believed that a great society is composed of good people, who honor God and country and take personal responsibility for themselves (hence the quote that I used for this particular piece). For that reason I made this piece, to show my respect for Alexis; a great thinker and patriot. He certainly made an impact on Democratic Republics everywhere. 

I hope that you enjoy it!

Pen, Ink & Photoshop, 2012

This is another version without the bells & whistles. Feel free to share this piece with anyone. I give you permission to use it for educational or argumentative purposes. Just make sure to link back here for all of the details! Thanks!

-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment