Saturday, April 30, 2011

Boston Comic Con- Day One

Hi All,
           Just checking in after Jake's and my first day at the Boston Comic Con! The show was a success, with attendance somewhere up in the thousands. There were loads of artists there, like us, selling prints and doing work on commission. Neal Adams, Howard Chaykin, Joe Quinones, Mark McKenna, Frank Quitely, Dexter Vines, and Frank Cho were there, just to name a few superstars. We had a good position, right out in the front, across from Dexter Vines and Scott Wegener.


We sold some trading cards and posters.

But the main action for me came from two commissions that I did late in the afternoon. The first was for Antonio, a college kid from Fitchburg State Univ., who wanted an entire Spider-man rogues gallery pinup.


He asked me to draw him the Shocker. Having never drawn him before I think that I did a pretty decent job. That insulation on Shocker's face is strange! Later on he came back with the finished piece, and I was blown away! I love what the other artists were able to do with the given space- comic art is something else!


Almost immediately after I did this drawing I was approached by Joe, who wanted me to do a drawing of the new character, Cyclone. I'd never heard of her but I was up for the challenge! I doodled for a minute to come up with a pose and then I started to draw.


Then came the inking stage.


Then the COLORS!


Joe looked pretty happy!


I'm looking forward to tomorrow! I hope that I can get the chance to draw more characters.
Thanks for stopping by!

-Josh


2 comments:

  1. Bruce, it was a blast! The second day was even better in terms of sales. We met a lot of really interesting people. Thanks for the continued support!

    ReplyDelete